How To Use Tuning Forks For HealingAug 01, 2022
Using Tuning Forks for healing is a very gentle yet powerful modality to treat the mind, body, and soul, and to restore inner balance and health. It works with the nervous system, the tissues, and the more subtle energies of the body, being deeply relaxing, and filled with long-term benefits.
In this article, we will share with you our top tips on how to use Tuning Forks for healing either at home for yourself, friends, and family or professionally during more thorough sound healing treatments.
What Are Tuning Forks For?
Tuning forks vibrate at a set frequency after being struck on the heel of the hand and are used for several reasons, including healing with sound.
They can be held by the stem, not the prongs, and are available in a wide range of frequencies, ranging from 64 Hz to 4096 Hz, however, the 128 Hz Tuning Fork is the most commonly used frequency for sound healing. They are being used to help alleviate difficult symptoms caused by:
- Chronic stress
- Chronic pain
- Hypersensitive nervous system
- Headaches and migraines
- Joint pain
- Digestive problems
- … and much more
Besides being a very effective sound healing instrument, using Tuning Forks for healing can also be a powerful support for integrating other alternative healing modalities such as sound massage, yoga, and meditation. This is because the sound’s ability to interact with the more subtle structures of our beings can assist the shifting of any stuck and stagnant energies on all levels of our being.
A very important aspect to remember is that there are two main types of Tuning Forks for healing: plain/unweighted and weighted Tuning Forks.
How Do Tuning Forks Work For Healing?
Sound waves are created when any object vibrates, such as the sound of someone singing, playing the guitar, or even the sound of a glass smashing on the floor.
When struck, usually with a mallet, on a knee cap, or a hockey puck, the tuning fork tines start vibrating a couple of hundred times per second, thus producing waves that transmit powerful vibrations in the air. These back-and-forth vibrations disturb the air molecules surrounding the tuning fork at great speed, smashing more air molecules that, in the end, hit our eardrums and get processed by our brains as gentle humming sounds.
The faster a tuning fork vibrates, the higher the pitch of the note it makes while facilitating the opening of energetic pathways where the body’s energy, life force, or Qi flows naturally.
The Benefits Of Tuning Forks For Healing
Using various tuning fork frequencies for healing comes with many benefits, including tuning the body’s natural cycle or circadian rhythm while stimulating homeostasis, which helps bring the body back to its natural state of balance.
It also attunes the body’s vibrations on a cellular level and promotes the activation of Qi so life force energy can flow freely without any blockages. It balances the nervous system by aligning the right and left brain, thus improving cognition and clear thinking.
And another very interesting benefit is the aid in repairing our DNA structure while reducing chronic stress levels, anxiety, inflammation, muscle pains, and digestion disorder symptoms.
Steps On How To Use Tuning Forks For Healing
In sound healing, with weighted and unweighted tuning forks we can correct many imbalances and learn how to project positive energy and attract positive vibrations while strengthening our body’s electromagnetic field so we can better handle and balance whatever life throws at us.
As mentioned earlier, Tuning Forks can be used both by beginners at home and professional therapists alike, however, there are a few things worth mentioning:
- During a tuning fork healing session, you should always lie down and relax
- The Tuning Forks get stricken and passed over various areas of and on the body
- TheTuning Forks produce a vibration that the body naturally aligns to, thus traveling deep to trigger the healing process
- DifferentTuning Forks produce different frequencies and vibrations
- A tuning fork activator can be used as well
- When trying to choose chakra tuning forks for healing, unweighted tuning forks are the most commonly used as they help to make distorted waves coherent and to clear lower vibrations that no longer serve you
On our Sound Healing Academy YouTube channel, we have a great video on How to use tuning forks for healing, where Jane Satchwell, the Vice-Principal of the Sound Healing Academy, uses three powerful techniques which can be used with three different types of Tuning Forks to reduce pain in joints and muscles. These techniques are very effective for pain relief, particularly in joints and in the muscles, where in many cases, the pain relief can be instantaneously in many cases.
Jane also offers a short yet very helpful demonstration of her techniques. Watch the video to discover the best Tuning Forks for healing and how you can apply these techniques to help yourself, your family members, and your friends.
Three Techniques On How To Use Tuning Forks For Sound Healing
- The 174 Hz Unweighted Tuning Fork
This technique is used to start the sound healing process.
The beauty of these Unweighted Tuning Forks is that you can hear the sound much more clearly than the Weighted ones. When working with these, we’re not working directly on the body but just off it.
- Activate the Tuning Fork by tapping it on a rubber puck or with a mallet (you’ll be able to hear the sounds very clearly)
- Bring the Tuning Fork close to the painful area on the body without actually touching it, and move it over the area slowly
- When the sounds die away, simply reactivate the Tuning Fork in the same way
- The 128 Hz or the 136.1 Hz Tuning Fork
Both are Weighted and are used directly on the body to target any painful areas you may have.
- Activate the Tuning Fork
- Place the end of the Tuning Fork directly onto the joint or muscle, and as you touch it on any part of your body, you’ll be able to feel the vibration going in, which creates a very soothing effect
- As the vibration fades away, reactivate it before it completely dies away
- Keep working around the area where it’s uncomfortable
If somebody has a particularly painful joint or muscle, you can make the end of a Tuning Fork much softer by attaching a simple rubber ball. Although it is a little less strong, you can still feel the vibration through it.
You can also put a crystal tip on the end instead of a rubber ball. Using rose quartz is very good for emotional healing and can be used to release emotions as well as pain. The vibrations will be felt strongly through the crystal, amplifying the Tuning Fork's healing vibrations.
- The Weighted 128 Hz Tuning Fork and the 136.1 Hz Tuning Fork together
The vibrational frequencies of these two Tuning Forks are very close together, with only a few Hz between them. That means they are very dissonant with each other and are very helpful in releasing any stuck energy or pain.
- Tap one Tuning Fork and then the other very quickly, so they are both vibrating at the same time
- Then introduce them very close together on the affected part of the body, but without actually touching them
- When you feel the vibrations dying away, reactivate both of them at the same time again, and do so for a maximum of three times
At the end of a Tuning Fork Therapy session, you can always return to working off the body with an Unweighted Tuning Fork to finish the healing process. If you’d like to learn how to use Tuning Forks for healing but don’t own any of your own, you can buy the Tuning Forks used in the video from our Sound Therapy Shop.
For more details and to purchase these Tuning Forks, please click the links below:
Click here for 128 Hz OTTO Tuning Fork
Click here for 136.1 Hz OM Tuning Fork
Click here for 174 Hz Solfeggio Tuning Fork
Additionally, don’t forget that you can participate in our Online Tuning Forks Courses, which cover various types such as Level 1 Foundations Certificate, Uncertified, Short, and Level 2 Practitioner Diploma Courses, all designed to accommodate all levels, abilities, and interests.
If you have any questions about our Online Sound Healing Courses, In-Person Training Courses, or anything else, please contact us, and keep an eye on our social media channels, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube, to deepen your journey with healing sounds along us, our wonderful teachers, practitioners, and community of sound healing lovers.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
SPAM is a NO-NO! We will never sell your information, for any reason.